Clean Raw Material biomass are (residual) products of agricultural or forestry and related industries. These standards cover all transactions of products produced, processed, prepared or bought for marketing purposes by operators participating in the Clean Raw Material Program.
The CRM1 standard is intended for applicants of the CRM process certification. Applicants may be operators that trade and/or produce the final or half (finished) product of the biomass to enter the Clean Raw Material program. In case the party is partly or completely outsourcing the production of the end products, the production units involved have to comply with the CRM1 standard as well.
Torrefaction is a mild thermal treatment with no oxygen of biomass containing base materials. The biocoal that is produced can be applied in existing traditional coal burning power plants without having to alter the installation. As a result, the use of coal and lignite is reduced and thus also the emission of carbon dioxide. This technique can for that reason play an important role in making existing coal and lignite burning power plants more sustainable.
The advantages of torrefaction are many:
• The energy value is better: 18-20 GJ/m3 of torrefied biomass in comparison to 10-11 GJ/m3 for untreated biomass)
• Reduction of the emission carbon dioxide
• More energy per unit, therefore better logistic performance
• Bio coal is hydrophobic, which makes simpler storage possible
• Biological dormant, no rotting
• Better processability
• Useable in traditional coal plants without adjustments